Goals and Objectives
Communicate effectively in a foreign language and interact in a culturally appropriate manner with native speakers of that language.Objectives:
- Achieve functional proficiency in listening, speaking, reading, and writing.
- Recognize culture-specific perspectives and values embedded in language behavior.
- Decode, analyze, and interpret authentic texts of different genres.
- Produce organized coherent discourse in oral and written modes.
Recognition of cultural values, practices, and heritage of the foreign country or countries studied.Objectives:
- Achieve working knowledge of the geography and history of that country.
- Explain the nature of major social and political structures.
- Identify important works of literature, art, and music.
- Describe and explain rituals and customs of daily life.
Development of disposition and cognitive strategies for life-long learning of other languages and cultures.Objectives:
- Recognize the nature of cultural identity, cross-cultural difference comparison, contrast home and cultures.
- Acquire flexibility and openness of mind in negotiating cultural differences.
- Develop insight into the nature of language itself, the process of language, and culture acquisition.