The U.S. Naval Academy Museum is home to more than 50,000 artifacts and artworks relating to the history of the U.S. Navy. If you are comfortable handling historic objects, you may wish to offer your services working in the Museum's collections storage area where you will assist with organizing and maintaining the various items that make up our collection. If you would rather work at a computer, volunteers are needed to perform data entry in the Museum's collections database. Curatorial volunteer hours between 9:30 am and 4:00 pm.
Some of the current curatorial volunteer projects include:
- Inventorying and storing the museum's collection
- Organizing the storage area for flat files and prints
- Photographing the collection
- Creating digital images of museum objects by scanning existing photographs
- Entering information from paper records into the computer database
The Curatorial Department is not currently taking on new volunteers. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 410-293-2108 in the fall of 2017 to inquire about volunteering in the Curatorial Department.